Thursday, June 13, 2013

Nobel/Chocolate Correlation?

Personal Reflection:
Just based on the last two posts, you'd probably think I love chocolate.  I don't!  I just find things that spark my interest and I save them. 

This image caught my eye because, off the bat, there seems to be a pretty strong correlation between chocolate consumption and Nobel Laureates.  I thought it would be fun to investigate!

This image can be found here.

Grade Level: High School

Course: Algebra, Algebra II, Prob/Stat

Standards:  S-ID.5, S-ID.6, S-ID.7, S-ID.8, S-ID.9, S-IC.2, S-IC.3, S-IC.6
SMP:  SMP.1, SMP.2, SMP.3, SMP.4

Skills: Algebra, Line of Best Fit, Correlation, Causation, Statistics, Problem Solving, Reasoning, Critical Thinking


How to use this as a mad minute:
You have 60 seconds. Explain what this graphic implies in 1 clear and specific sentence.

How to use this as a warm up:
You could ask the students to consider one of the following:
1.  Does this image have all of the essential elements of a clear graph?
2.  Do you think the use of flags and country names enhances or detracts from the image?  Why?
3.  Do you see a possible correlation?  Why or why not?  If so, what kind?
4.  What does the "r" value tell you about this graph?
5.  Which country consumes the most chocolate?  The least?  Which country has the most Nobel Laureates?  The least?

How to use this as a mini-lesson:
I'm disappointed that the data isn't available. I would love to have kids use their graphing calculators and a data table to generate equations of best fit.  I guess we just have to trust the info that is provided.  I did find the original article.  Linked here.

0:00--Take a look at this and then take a minute to discuss it with a partner.
2:00--What did you notice?  What stood out to you?
3:00--Do you think it is fair to make the argument "The more chocolate you eat, the more likely you are to win a Nobel Prize?"  (Feel free to adjust the statement to better match what your students say!)
5:00--Do you see any data that might be considered an outlier?  (If your students know the mathematical formula for outliers, feel free to apply it!  I would just discuss "in general" rather than doing it in that much detail.)
6:00--Do you see any correlation?  Where?  (Hopefully they can tell you they see it visually in the data points, but also that they recognize the "r" value in the image.)  What does that mean? 
7:00--What questions do you have about this data, the study, or the relationship?  (Have them partner up, list their questions and then gather them back together to share out.  Write their questions down.)
10:00--If we draw a line of best fit, what would it tell us?
11:00--What would the slope tell us?
12:00--Work with a partner to write the line of best fit.  (Give an enlarged copy of the image.)
17:00--What is the difference between correlation and causation?
18:00--Can you think of other things that might have a correlation with no causation?  (Here's a site that has some great examples!)
20:00--Do you think this is an example of correlation without causation?  Why or why not?

How to use this as a full lesson?
I would definitely start with the mini lesson.  The ending question is a great point for the students to explore further.

Below I have 4 links to information about this "Nobel vs. Chocolate" image, research, etc.  I would ask the students to break up, study the information and be prepared to come back and share the information with others.  (I would do a jigsaw.) 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/10/chocolate-consumption-nobel-prize_n_1956163.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20356613

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/early/2013/04/24/jn.113.174813.abstract  (Full text is available in pdf link on the left.)

http://www.thescienceforum.com/news/31697-correlation-causation-chocolate-nobel-prize.html


A video that explains the image and research:


After their jigsaw, I would ask students to form an opinion about the graphic.  I'm thinking something in the range of:
  • I think the research and data are accurate and logical.
  • I think the reasearch is accurate but the causation link is missing.
  • I think the research and data are inaccurate.
(Of course any other opinions are totally fine!)

I would then ask students to back up their answers with examples from the texts they read, their own background knowledge, correct mathematical vocabulary, etc.  I would ask them to do it in a 1 page poster.

 How to use this as an assessment?

See the lesson above, it includes an assessment tool.

Another option would be to simply give students the graphic on a test, as an activity, etc, and ask them to reflect on the image.  (I would provide a word bank or other guidance on the types of "reflection" you want them to do!  My word bank might include:  linear, correlation, causation, accuracy, misleading.)

Please feel free to use any of these ideas and modify them to meet your needs.  However, please acknowledge the original source of the items and my own lesson outlines.  ©NatalieRSprigg 2013 

No comments:

Post a Comment